Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas!

I love all of the holidays, but Christmas is my favorite of them all.  One of my favorite things about the holiday is all of the decorations, specifically the tree.  There's just something about all of the colorful lights (I love color!) and the ornaments that I have collected over the years.  When I bought a house of my own, my mom gave me all of my ornaments that she has collected and saved for me since I was a kid.  Some of these ornaments have an extra special meaning to me this year as there were some from my Granny Sadler.  She would buy all of her grandkids an ornament and somewhere on them she would put our name and the year.  I will miss that tradition, but thankfully I have all of the memories :o) 

Since I bought my house in '05, we've had a yearly tradition of decorating the house.  My Mom and my 2 Aunts come over and we make a girls weekend out of it.  This year was one of the most fun because my sister flew in from Pensacola to join us and most of all Macy Jane was old enough to enjoy it.  I wish that I had brought the video camera out and filmed her.  She has always liked looking at the lights, but this year she helped hang the ornaments and when it was all done she walked around and around the tree just saying "Wow", "Whoa", "Wook Mommy" (look) as she pointed to ornaments.  I am hoping that I was smarter than the average bear and put all of my breakable and special ornaments more towards the top of the tree.  My favorite "theme" of Christmas is gingerbread men and reindeer.  I am not the decorator that likes the fancy frilly things...I suppose one could say I am a kid at heart.  Anyways, on my coffee table is my gingerbread "village" and one of the things I have is a gingerbread music box and Macy Jane is obsessed with it!  She can wind it just a little bit and will just sit and stare at it with the cutest expression that I can't put in to words.  Shes just too darn cute!  My house is all decorated and most of the lights are hung outside but I won't actually put the yard stuff up or turn the outside lights on til after Thanksgiving. 

Tonight I discovered that my freaking freezer broke....again.  This is the 3rd time and the warranty is up on it.  I have called and complained to Sears because the freezer isn't even 3 and 1/2 years old.  They refuse to do anything about it.  So guess what?!  I will never buy any appliance from Sears again.  Ever.  Thankfully I was able to make room in my house fridge/freezer.  Ugh!  When it rains it pours. 

A few weeks ago we increased the dose on the meds we give MJ for the Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.  She is just now at the dose that most docs start kids out on.  In the beginning we thought the meds were helping but then she had a cycle that lasted for 8 days....a record.  That's when I called and the dosage changed.  It's been 2 weeks and she is starting another cycle, just in time for Thanksgiving.  I am trying to have a good attitude about it, but to be honest it just plain sucks.  I cannot even describe how pitiful she is when she is doing nothing but vomiting for 5 days straight and not being able to tolerate anything but pedialyte and sometimes not even that.  I haven't given up hope that the meds will work.  I know that I need to be patient but I cannot stand to see MJ suffer.  She is so happy and "normal" when she is in between cycles and she deserves to not ever have to throw up again.  She's done her share over the past 2 and a half years.  A few nights ago I was a little upset and spent a few hours on the net looking at research studies that have been done with other children that have CVS.  I couldn't find anything about timelines that it takes the meds to have their full effect, but one study said candidates had been on the meds for 5 months.  MJ is going on 2 months and she is at the bottom of the dosage range, so we have lots of wiggle room.  I just try to keep thinking positive thoughts that one day my child will not have to suffer every 2 weeks with this wretched syndrome.  She WILL get there, it's just going to take baby steps, just like everything else has.  *sigh* Until then, we will continue to go to the GI doctor every 3 weeks to monitor the progress.  God won't put more on me than I can handle.  Repeat 1000 times daily in my head. 

The stress of the past few months is finally catching up to me I suppose.  I can only ignore it for so long and not do something about it.  In the past when I've been stressed my hair would fall out and I gain weight super easy.  Well, it's happening again!  Ugh.  I'm not gaining weight, (thankfully) but I'm not losing either.  I recently switched to a different diet and nope not losing.  So, it's back to Weight Watcher's for me.  That is what I did when I lost the first 60 pounds and should have never stopped, but that is the past.  I've got some other health things that have to get under control and once that happens I know I will start losing again.....and exercising which starts at 0430 in the am!  UGH! As for my hair....it is thinning out again.  I hope that corrects itself as well :o)  Bethany bald?  I don't think so.  2010 is my year to get everything in order and start living again....I'm just going to start early and get all of the kinks out before the year actually starts.

One other thing I want to mention....Christmas for me is not about the presents, decorations, or family gatherings.  All of those things are just a bonus.  I am thankful that Jesus was born in a manger and I 100% recognize that Jesus is the true meaning behind Christmas.  It's sad that people forget that or don't believe in God at all.  I couldn't imagine going through the stuff I have without Him.  I can only imagine the basketcase fruitcake nutball I would be (more so than I already am ;) 

Hope everyone has a great week and a very Happy Thanksgiving! 

No comments: