Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thursday, September 27, 2007
Wednesday Current mood: bouncy
Macy Jane is doing really really well, finally!! I know it is because of all of the prayers, it is awesome to see them working. She has been off of the ventilator for over 24 hours now and is doing well. She has a nasty sounding cough and her voice is barely there. She sounds like a newborn kitten :) It will come back in a few days though. She has been doing well at coughing up some thick mucous, such a fighter!
I finally was able to hold MJ last night! It felt so good, but she felt teeny tiny in my arms. It was like holding a newborn again.....she feels like she weighs 7 pounds and honestly I think she does. I talk about this a lot because it really bothers me. I took care of a lady about a year ago that had the end stages of cancer and her husband had a photo of her before she got sick and then to look at her you wouldn't know it was the same person. I feel like that is how MJ is. Don't get me wrong, she is still beautiful and will gain the weight back, but she is so WEAK from malnutrition that she doesn't have enough energy to suck a pacifier. She is currently on IV nutrition called TPN since last pm so in about a week or so she should look better. I cannot wait! Also, since I do nightshift at the hospital, I miss the things that happen in the early part of the day. Well, today I woke up to a beautiful picture in my cell phone.......MJ finally has her Mickey Button instead of that long floppy g-tube! She didn't have to go to the OR after all! The GI doctor came by and was like oh I can do this right now and within 5 minutes the new button was in place. They are giving her pedialyte through it now and so far she has tolerated it. I praise the Lord that she didn't have to go to the OR for that. We couldnt figure out why the docs were saying that she would have to when back home we just had to go to the g-tube clinic and have it switched out?!! YAY!
The doctor that extubated MJ on Saturday (when she was oversedated) was in the room tonight and I walked to the nutrition room to get some water and she was walking by. She said hello and smiled to the person in front of me and when she saw me, I smiled and she gave me a dirty look and looked at the floor! She hasn't said one word to me since Saturday, the heiffer! I don't care though, MJ has 2 doctors that are taking care of her now and they are really really good, and they listen to me and STeve!
MJ has a new thing that is going to take some getting used to for us. She no longer turns blue when she cries or coughs!!! I woke up this morning and that was my first thought.....Mj didn't turn blue last night!!!!! It is so weird because me and Steve always looked at her forehead and nose to see if it was blue....if it was, her o2 levels were low, but now she just has a red V that comes up on her forehead. That is good though......a step in the right direction!
California is so nice! The weather here is just awesome, but I miss home like crazy. Just to sleep in my own bed would be like heaven to me. The bed here is SO uncomfortable, I wake up with a backache each morning. It looks like anormal mattress, but when you sit on it, it feels like an airmattress. One person sits down beside you and you bounce high in the air and are higher than the other person! I would love to stick a knife in it and see if it would deflate. I would have a hard time explaining that to the RMH owners though :) I can't complain for 10 bucks a day though!!!
Well, I am going to get back to sitting with MJ. Please say a prayer for the little baby next to MJ. He is a little over a month old and today the people at the hospital had to have a talk with his "parents" (who we ALWAYS see at the RMH) and tell them that they are requiring them to come and visit the child at least 4 hours a day or else they were kicking them out of the ronald McDonald House. How sad is that? You have to be forced to come and see your child?! They would typically come for 15 minutes a day and that was it. I feel so bad for that baby because he just wants to be held and only gets held by the nurses. The mom and dad do not even ask to hold him! Tonight, I sat here for 15 minutes waiting to use the hospital computer because they were sitting here playing video games. I think they need to go back and tell them that they are required to spend that 4 hours with their child, just being in the hospital doesn't count. I do not understand people these days. If you don't want children then give them up for adoption or CLOSE YOUR LEGS! They are precious gifts from God and I can't stand to see dead beat parents. :(
Well, that's it for now. Finally some good news to report! I know I keep promising to post pics, but honestly until MJ is out of ICU I don't really have the time or want to go sit at a Starbucks to upload pics. I feel that I should be spending that time with MJ.
Much love,
Bethany

No comments: