Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Everyone that knows MJ knows that she has a Mickey Button (g-tube) that we use to feed her with. On occasion, this button will leak whatever I have fed her or whatever is in her stomach. When this happens, I know to check the fluid level in the balloon and usually have to put more water in it. Today, however...I don't have a clue what's wrong with it and I am aggravated and frustrated! I fed her 4 ounces this morning since she has been throwing up and 5 minutes later her shirt was so wet it was dripping the milk on the floor. I thought for sure the balloon had ruptured so I checked it and it hadn't. I put more water in the balloon hoping that would help and it didn't. I got the emergency spare out of the closet and changed the entire thing out (just like putting in an earring). It is still leaking. So, I called her surgeon that did the G-tube and is responsible for upsizing it. As my luck would have it, he only sees patients on Tuesday. However, Lebonheur has a g-tube clinic that I never knew anything about until today and they will see her tomorrow afternoon and hopefully give me a prescription for a larger diameter tube-which is the only thing left that could be the problem. They do not keep Mickey buttons there apparently so I will have to get the prescription for it and fax it to our supplier and wait for them to deliver it.....on TUESDAY. Now, would someone please tell me how I am supposed to feed her between now and Tuesday? She is still very sick and I am trying my best to keep her hydrated, but that is next to impossible when everything just runs back out. Why is it that there are no backup plans for this type of thing? I realize that not many kids have to have feeding tubes but it is very frustrating for the select few that do and can't get help immediately. I know that I am just tired and cranky and quite possibly blowing this out of proportion but I am so aggravated right now. If any of you ped nurses that are my friends have any suggestions for me, I'm all ears. I am about to head to Wal-Greens and get some rice cereal to try and thicken her milk and pedialyte in hopes that not as much will leak out. That is my last hope!! To those that have been messaging me about how MJ is doing: her labored breathinig is much better today, although she is still breathing fast compared to her normal. At least she isn't using her abdominal muscles today. Her cough is junky and her nose snotty, and she has been throwing up since 6am.....oh the joys : ) She really does look better than when I got off work yesterday morning. Thanks for the prayers and keep them coming. Pray for sleep....and lots of it so I don't lose it ;)

No comments: